CSU's Honors Program was established in 2004 to serve the needs of academically talented students. Each year, it accepts approximately 40 first-year students and 20-25 juniors who have demonstrated superior academic achievement through their coursework and results on tests such as the ACT and SAT.
Graduates of CSU's honors program consistently are successful in gaining entry into graduate and professional programs, both at CSU and at universities across the country and the world.
Honors students enjoy a range of challenges and benefits through the CSU Honors Program. These include:
- Small-section general education classes: each year, honors students may choose from a selection of specially designed honors general education courses offered in a small class format by instructors selected for their record of teaching excellence.
- Honors major programs: each undergraduate major offers a specially designed version of the major for honors students, providing them with opportunities to acquire additional skills, engage in research while still undergraduates, work one-on-one with professors, and gain practical, real-world experience.
- Special advising: each honors student is assigned to a special honors advisor who works with them to design an academic program suited to their needs and interests. Honors advisors are specially trained to understand the needs of honors students and are able to give each student individual attention and assistance.
- Honors community: Honors students form a community within the larger CSU community. Through the honors general education courses, the possibility of living on the honors floor in the residence hall, specially designed Universal Honors Experience courses, and access to the Honors Lounge, Honors students have many opportunities to work and play together and to develop strong ties with others in the program.
- Scholarship Information: Honors students at CSU receive a substantial scholarship. Honors students in good standing receive this support throughout their four-year undergraduate academic career. Students entering as juniors will receive scholarship support for two years.