Transfer to CSU
The start date at CSU must be within 5 months after last day of your last term at your current school. This means that you can remain in the United States for NO MORE than 5 months between completing your current school and beginning studies at CSU.
For students on OPT, the course of study must begin within 5 months of the end of OPT.
The electronic transfer MUST occur within 60 days
Once a SEVIS record is sent, it cannot be retrieved past the "release date.If you inform your current school prior to the "release date," they can cancel the transfer.
CSU does not have a transfer form to be sent to
your current school.
If you are not in valid F-1 status, your record can still be transferred but CSU must file for reinstatement of your immigration status upon your arrival.
You should inform your current school
You intent to transfer
The complete name of Cleveland State University and its code CLE214F00211000.
- Your current school will transfer your record in SEVIS to CSU and enter a "release date" ( the date that your SEVIS record will transfer to CSU and usually the end of the current semester)
- CSU will issue a new I-20 as soon as it receives the following documents:
- Bank statement that will show sufficient funds to cover your expenses at CSU.
- Your address in your country of origin and your new Cleveland, Ohio address.
The Center for International Services and Programs at CSU will issue you a transfer "Form I-20". This becomes your current, valid I-20.
You must have this new I-20 no later than 15 days after the start of classes or you will be considered to have violated your F-1 status. Once you are registered at CSU and classes begin, this will be recorded in SEVIS and your SEVIS record will change from "initial" to "active" and the transfer will be considered completed.
Transfer from CSU to a New School
Transfer to another school requires that your SEVIS record be sent electronically in SEVIS to the new school. The new school CANNOT make you an I-20 unless this occurs.
A SEVIS record that is transferred cannot be retrieved
by the sending school (in this case CSU) once it is sent and after
the "release date".
If you wish to cancel the transfer before the "release date," please inform The Manager of International Student Services.
Many receiving schools have a form that they require the sending school to complete; completion of this form does not mean that we have sent your SEVIS record.
- The start date at the new school must be within 5 months after last day of your last term at CSU. This means that you can remain in the United States for NO MORE than 5 months between completion at CSU and beginning studies at the new school.
- For students on OPT, the course of study must begin within 5 months of the end of OPT.
- The transfer of your SEVIS record must occur within 60 days of completion at the current school (CSU).
- Immigration regulations require you to have an I-20 at the new school no later than 15 days after the first day of classes.
- If you are not in valid status, your record can still be transferred but the receiving school must file for reinstatement of your immigration status upon your arrival.
To have your SEVIS record sent, you must
do the following:
SEVIS works very much like paying your bills online. A request to transfer
can be made in to the future and the record will be released on that
date. For example, if you request that your record be transferred in
February for a release date of May 13th-the record will be released
on May 13th, even though the request was made many months earlier.
Please direct any questions to Monica A. Plunkett, Assistant Director of International
Student Services email@example.com.
We wish all best at your new school.