Cleveland State University’s compliance with the 8 Principles of Excellence, established by Executive Order 13607 of April 27, 2012 is as follows:
1. CSU will provide you with information detailing the total cost of your education including tuition and fees, how much will be covered by your GI Bill, other financial aid for which you may be qualified, estimated student loan debt upon graduation and information on student outcomes. Tuition information including fees and GI Bill information is included in this package. Additional GI Bill counseling and financial counseling are provided by the VA VetSuccess Counselor and the Veterans Certifying Officer.
2. CSU will inform veterans of the availability of federal financial aid and will do so before packaging or arranging private student loans of alternative financing programs. The Veteran Student Success Program will do so by ensuring veterans applying to CSU meet with the Veterans Certifying Officer co-located with VSSP.
3. CSU will not use fraudulent and unduly aggressive recruiting techniques nor misrepresent its program. The Veteran Student Success Program does not recruit, rather it makes itself and Cleveland State University known to veterans through placement of program and university information at various venues, through the web, and at tabling events. Any program specific information directed towards veterans will have been developed by the particular program and VSSP thus ensuring it is accurate and meets the needs of veterans.
4. Prior to offering a new course or program, CSU will ensure the standards set forth by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and program specific accrediting agencies have been met. As a fully accredited institution of higher learning, Cleveland State University is in full compliance with this principle to the benefit of all students, including veterans, attending CSU.
5. Cleveland State University will allow service members including Guard & Reserve to be readmitted to a program when they have to suspend their studies for military service. The CSU policy is provided here and at the CSU Registrar’s site - http://www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/register/addDropInfo.html:
Affected students need to present an official copy of the military orders to the Office of the University Registrar (KB 1414) and to their instructors. The Office of the University Registrar will provide copies of the orders to the Office of Treasury Services and Financial Aid Office. All questions about financial aid implications can be directed to the Veterans Certifying Officer at (216) 687-5326.
6. Cleveland State University has an institutional refund policy aligned with Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. This is concerned with refunds for reasons other than withdrawals for military service. When veterans withdraw from a course the refund awarded will be guided by the university policy for student refunds in general (available publically at http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/treasuryservices/refunds/#schedules#schedules):
7. Cleveland State University will provide veterans with an education plan detailing how they will fulfill all the requirements necessary to graduate and the expected timeline of completion. All academic requirements including general education and program/major specific requirements are provided through a well established on-line tool, the Degree Audit, available to the student, advisor and Coordinator of the Veteran Student Success Program. All veterans are encouraged to use their individual Degree Audit and periodically consult with their advisor on their progress. The VSSP Coordinator can help veterans to understand and use their Degree Audit.
8. Cleveland State University will designate a point of contact for academic and financial advising, including access to disability services, to assist veterans with successful completion of their studies and with their job searches. CSU points of contact are:
Whatever the need, the Veteran Student Success Program and the VA VetSuccess Counselor will work with all veterans attending
CSU to find the right person/program to assist them and better ensure successful completion of their studies.