Freshman students are required to take the placement test prior to registering for an English course or math course. Under the new ACT policy, however, students scoring 21 or above will no longer have to take the English placement test. Students who have taken the Advanced Placement Program Exam and received College Board AP credit should consult with an academic adviser. Mandatory placement is in effect for all mathematics courses numbered MTH 115 through 127, 151, and 167 through 181. Students become eligible to take one of these courses by achieving a suitable score on the Math Placement Examination, or by passing the prerequisite course at Cleveland State University or another university or community college.
Transfer students who have completed and received transfer credit for at least one three-credit hour course in Freshman English, or college-level math courses, will not be required to take Placement Examinations. They should consult with their academic adviser to select appropriate coursework based on transfer credit applicability.
- The placement testing process is completely done by computer, and test results are provided immediately upon completion of the tests.
- Placement testing dates, times, and sample tests are available at the Placement Testing Office, Rhodes Tower West Room 289, at 216-687-2566 or online at:http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/counselingtesting/placementhome.html.
- You do not need to register for the placement tests. Simply show up during the posted placement testing hours.
- WEEKDAY PLACEMENT TESTS may be taken anytime during the posted office hours.
- A photo ID is required to take all placement examinations.
- The Office of Disability Services is available to assist students with special needs during placement testing. Call the office at 216-687-2015 for more information.
- The Academic Services Center also administers the Spanish and French placement tests by computer.
- The Spanish and French departments can access the test results for advising purposes.
Students whose first language is not English should first take the English Placement Exam. If they do not place into ENG 101, they should register for ESL 096, which will prepare them for the Freshman Composition series.
- The Academic Services Center administers the Compass test for Education majors and the Chemistry placement test.