Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs

Bachelor's Degrees

Urban Studies (B.A.)

Degree granted: Bachelor of Arts

Hours required for major: 36

Tracks: urban and regional planning, public management, environmental policy and management, and personally-designed track.

Articulation Agreements: public management, public safety management, environmental health and safety, community health management, paralegal studies, and human services

Advising: designated college adviser: phone: 216-687-3884

Student organizations: Urban Studies Association, Pi Alpha Alpha, American Planning Association Student Chapter

Additional Information:

Internship opportunities are available to all students; the Columbus Seminar and Washington Seminar provide on-site involvement in government in action; scholarships are available to qualified students; all required courses in the major are available in the evening; students with substantial prior learning experience may apply for credit through the Assessment and Accreditation of Prior Learning Experience program.

Opportunities to participate in small seminar groups, research projects, community engagement, and Cooperative Education are available. Students majoring in Urban Studies should consult their adviser for assistance in planning their course of study.

Return to top

Major_Field Requirements

  • Urban Studies majors are required to complete a minimum of 36 credit hours from the following courses.

    1. Core courses (16 credit hours ):
    2. Tracks

    3. Students select one track from 1 through 4 below (20 credit hours) or a Degree Completion program area if transferring with a degree from a community college.
      1. Urban and Regional Planning
        Urban planners use their skills in research, design, and development to effect social goals in cities. The urban and regional planning track helps students use the heritage of urban planning to influence urban and regional development. Planners analyze a range of data regarding an area—the economic base, the needs of the people, the available resources, and the effects of change—and make recommendations for action.
      2. Required courses (8 credit hours):

        Electives – Students choose three courses (12 credit hours):

      3. Public Management
        Public managers develop budgets, strategic plans, policies, and programs for a variety of public and private organizations. The public management track gives students basic management techniques and analytic skills necessary to manage effectively in an urban environment
      4. Required courses (8 credit hours):

        Electives – Students choose three courses (12 credit hours):

      5. Environmental Policy and Management
        This track is designed to give students an understanding of the economic, political, and social changes necessary for improving the quality of the physical environment in cities. Courses focus on domestic environmental policies and programs, environmental design, and issues related to sustainable development.
      6. Required courses (8 credit hours):

        Electives – Students choose three courses (12 credit hours):

      7. Personally-Designed Track
      8. Students may design their own track with their adviser, with the permission of the Director of Undergraduate Studies (five courses, 20 credit hours). Examples of personally-designed tracks are: historic preservation, economic development, Geographic Information Systems, and community health management.

    Return to top

    Degree Completion Programs

    For community college transfer students with A.A, A.A.S. and A.A.B. degrees the following degree completion programs may be completed with technical credits transferred into the Levin College.

    Public Management

    (For transfer students from public administration programs)

    Public Safety Management

    (For transfer students from law enforcement, corrections, security administration, emergency management, and police and fire science programs)

    Environmental Policy

    (For transfer students from environmental health and safety technology programs)

    Community Health Management

    (For transfer students from nursing programs)

    Paralegal Studies

    (For transfer students from paralegal studies programs)

    Students who have earned an AAB in Paralegal Studies can earn the BA, Urban Studies by completing the following program.

    Human Services

    (For transfer students from human services programs)

    Return to top


    Go to Minors information website

    Sustainable Urban Development Minor (20 credit hours)

    Urban Studies Minor (20 credit hours)

    Return to top

    Certificate in Urban Geographic Information Systems

    Certificate in Public Management

    Certificate in Sustainable Urban Development

    Return to top